I took a Webinar yesterday from Gary Vaynerchuk called “How to Fully Commit to Social Media”.
ya, I know. Brenda, could you BE more committed (addicted) to social media? But I knew he had a good rep and I wanted to hear him speak and his thoughts on marketing. His talk was on how old school thinking can leave you in the dust.
Here’s some point form things I took away from it. My thoughts are in italics.
- What to automate on social media? ZERO. People think I’m crazy when I tell them this. IF you’re automating, you’re not present.
- Engagement changes the relationship. Actually talking to people, using their names, giving a shit. Important stuff.
- Being romantic in business is the easiest way to go out of it: don’t hold on to how things were! Saying “we’re doing fine without social media” is resisting change. Change is GOOD people! Embrace it 🙂
- Social Media sites have the cleanest data that exists. Nielsen has low sample sizes and doesn’t represent the actual #’s
- The way we need to reach people is not a 30 sec commercial. Must be more creative, less salesy – you have to actually care now. People need to connect, need an emotional attachment.
- Your message is getting spammy, unless you show that you care. If all you do is promote your services and never engage, you are spam my friend.
- Social media is connecting us like we are in a small town. This makes me SO FREAKIN HAPPY!
- World is changing quickly – Need to get dramatically more creative by actually giving a crap.
- Social Media isn’t a short-term platform, but a long-term investment. You won’t see results in a week, a month. Got to be in for the long haul.
- Google+ is in trouble, but don’t bet against Google. Maybe they’ll buy Twitter. WHAAATTTT??
And my absolute favourite quote of the session?
While we are getting more Jetsons, the Flintstones are winning.
Tell me that isn’t awesome. Technology, technology, technology, if you aren’t building relationships, you may as well fly off in your bubble.
Gary is a New York Times and Wall Street Journal Best-Selling author who is also a self-trained wine and social media expert. Check him out here. (did you catch that? Social Media AND wine!